[plug] Socket A cooling recommendations

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 10 11:56:50 WST 2003

> I have a socket A Athelon that had its CPU fan die. Rather than just replace
> the fan I am thinking of replacing the whole cooler - I was never entirely
> happy that the supplied unit was up to the job.

Quiet is good. A CPU fan can make a surprising part of the noise from a
system, along with PSU fan, HDDs, and any aux fans. I don't know of any
specific quiet CPU coolers, however.

> Oh... and I should probably also mention that I'm also looking for one of
> those USB/Firewire/audio front panel "thingies"... ie a 5-1/4" panel that
> has various sockets for USB, firewire, audio - so you can plug stuff in at
> the front of the PC rather than grovel around at the back :).

So you can have the hideous cable jungle at both ends of the PC? *shudders*.

I've got DVI, VGA, S-Video, mike, headphone/speakers, Radio aerial, TV
aerial, power, 2xUSB, PS/2, line-in, ethernet, and probably a small
community of mice living behind my main machine. It's bad enough when
it's all at the back.

In honesty, though, I can see how audio connectors etc would be useful
at the front of the machine. You'd just have to be careful to keep the
permanant stuff at the back.

Craig Ringer