[plug] CPU temps [OT]

John Usher (Maptek) John.Usher at perth.maptek.com.au
Fri Oct 10 14:31:28 WST 2003

We've tested a fanless Celeron II 400 system at various temperatures (ie
cooked it) and it actually ran OK up to at least 80 degrees C. After
that though, it just got hotter and hotter. We got it past 100 degrees
before we shut it down. Once you reach the critical temperature, the IC
just becomes a heater and sucks as much power as it can to produce as
much heat as it can. There was a 20 degree temperature rise in almost no
time at all.

It was rated for 70 degrees, just like most ICs seem to be.

After that test and the resulting bending of silicon, the processor had
a lot less heat tolerance, and 60 degrees would kill it.

But it did still work! Amazing.