[plug] [OT] Boot process fails

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at globaldial.com
Fri Oct 10 15:48:55 WST 2003

Hi All,

I am having an issue with my desktop pc at home where when I turn it on
it gets past the RAM check and HDD detection and then hangs. If I turn
the PC on and off about 100 times eventually it will get past the hang
and boot, and then run perfectly until I turn it off again. The wierd
thing is that the *exact* same thing started happening to my firewall
server about a week or two before.

The case on my firewall was the same case I purchased with my DX2-66Mhz
back at the beginning of '95 (now an AMD k6-2 350Mhz) and I was having a
problem where I would push the power button on and it would do nothing
at all, but when I turned it off I would here a wierd noice coming from
the speakers and stuff. I bought a new case for it hoping to fix the
problem and immediately came accross the booting problem with it not
getting past the first POST screen (as above)...I put it down to old
hardware and forgot about it.

Then two weeks later (~) my AMD Athlon 2000+ begun doing the same thing.
These two machines have absolutely nothing in comon with each other
except that they are owned and built by me and on the same
network....very wierd.

I was wondering if anyone has seen something like this before or any
ideas on what could be the issue. I admit that even though I have
upgraded by desktop to the 2000+, the case is still a relatively cheap
case so I guess that could be the common denominator (well the PS I
mean)...

Adam.