[plug] Socket A cooling recommendations

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Oct 10 15:00:49 WST 2003

On Friday 10 October 2003 14:26, James Devenish wrote:

> I've found that up to 65 is fine but most OSes do well to warn above 70,
> with 80 seeming to be a common panic point for junction temperature in
> various manufacturers' RISC chips.

Y'know, to a degree, it's the same as the length of a piece of string. That
is, different CPUs have different temperature tolerances.

I have a SFF case with a Celeron 2.2 in it, and I'm experimenting with ways of
cooling it adequately without the high-pitch turbine sound of the rear
extractor fans. Eventually I found the spec PDF for Celeron's, which listed
the temperature tolerance ranges for a bunch of different Celerons. Bottom
line that my assumption to worry at about 60 and panic at 70 was about right.
It typically runs at 40 - 45.

My Duron 1.1, on the other hand, averages around 65 from memory...

If in doubt, hunt down the specs. IMHO, a lot of cooling solutions are
overkill, unless you're into overclocking (which I never could see much point
in).

On the topic of my SFF Celeron 2.2 - does anyone know of a cooling solution
which is lower profile (height) than the default Intel monstrosity, AND
quiet, and provide good cooling for average use in a cramped case? ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |