[plug] A new modem needed?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Oct 11 14:30:53 WST 2003

> I am connected to the Internet through a D-Link ADSL USB Modem.  The
> Webace.com.au technician said that I could not use Linux through this
> system and would cost me $250 AUD for a new modem. Would changing service
> providers help, or do I really need to get a new modem?

I don't know about your modem specifically, but Paul Arch seems to have
good results, so presumably it's OK.

The main thing to remember is that the ISP will say "you can't use that"
or "it won't work" when they mean "we don't know if it works, don't know
how to do it, and don't want to talk to you about it." In other words,
you're on your own as far as they're concerned. IMHO this isn't an
issue, since the limit of the utility of ISP tech support is normally
finding out if they're down on their end.

I'm sure Onno can tell you more about ISPs and their "interesting" ideas ;-)

Craig Ringer