[plug] Socket A cooling recommendations

bob bob at fots.org.au
Sat Oct 11 18:38:55 WST 2003

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 05:51 pm, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> As someone who has gone to moderate lengths to quiet his computer: the
> newer stock Athlon XP coolers (with massive heat sinks and large,
> slow-spinning fans) are quite quiet.  The Volcanos (and probably other
> coolers of a similar design) can be quieted by buying a generic 80mm fan
> from Jaycar or wherever and soldering a small resistor inline so that
> they run at something less that the stock speed.  They have a large
> enough heatsink that you don't really need that much air moving over
> them, and the stock fans are horrendously loud.

Following up on the Volcano 9 I got from Altronics...

Yes, you're right the stock fans are a bit noisy but then they are very high
volume airflow so its a bit of a tradeoff. I've fitted the unit with the
thermistor option so it auto adjusts speed. I'm impressed with the
improvement in cooling (~ 6 - 8 deg from the old unit) and the often lower
noise level. Idles at 42 deg @ 2000 rpm (once warmed up) can't seem to max
it out beyond 49 deg 4200 rpm even with 10 large images being gimped at
once (CPU pegged at 100% for 35 mins) so I'm happy :).

--
Your lucky color has faded.