[plug] digital TV

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Oct 12 18:14:47 WST 2003

>>Niiiice.. They also do a Terrestrial version, so when we have that
>>working I can recommend it as a DTV card that will work with Aus
>>broadcasters :p)
>
> There seems to have been several DVB-T cards released in Australia in
> recent months, and often Linux support is better than windows.
>  With a cheap PCI card you can receive HDTV and save to hard-disk. Though
> I think you need a very fast CPU for software-decoding full-res HDTV
> playback. This is definitely on my list of toys to get.

I can't speak for DTV, but the combination of radio from xawtv, the
"tvtime" app, and mplayer/mencoder make an excellent user interface for
any v4l gear. I was amazed at how bad the windows app that came with my
card (FlyVideo 3000) was - the OSS apps I'm using now have vastly
superior UIs as well as being more useful and better quality. It's not
often that OSS apps beat the alternatives in UI and ease of use as well
as technical ability, but this is definitely one of those times.

All I need now is a source of XMLTV data for australian broadcasting,
and I'll be able to record the (rare) thing I want off TV and avoid the
crud.

Anyone looking into tv gear under Linux would currently do well with a
saa7134 card like the $100 FlyVideo 3000, running with TvTime and
mplayer/mencoder. xawtv's radio app does the trick for radio input, too
- good quality stereo.

Craig Ringer