[plug] Openoffice chart production

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 13 00:18:16 WST 2003

In message <200310122135.34419.leon at brooks.fdns.net>
on Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 09:35:34PM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> a massive Excel spreadsheet, which has more rows than OOCalc can
> handle

Speaking of size limits...

<specific but vague rant>
I've not used Oo.o much because the need hasn't arisen, and because the
several times I have attempted to it have been less than productive.
However, that is of trivial consequence. What I actually wanted to say
is that I've already noticed that Oo.o contains various built-in /
hard-coded limitations in data handling (which I noticed most especially
when opening MS Office documents). These seem like anachronisms -- are
we really supposed to be writing desktop software like that in this day
and age? I won't be surprised if OO.o starts limiting filenames to
merely the allowable DOS charaters. What's going on?
</specific but vague rant>