[plug] Partimage boot disk or cd

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 14 00:15:20 WST 2003

> Would you not be better off using Ghost..?

$$$$

As for the bootable CD method -- it should be possible to load an
el-torito floppy image off the CD (via the BIOS) with a syslinux
bootloader, then mount the filesystem off the CD after the kernel and
initrd came up. You could then pivot_root to get your primary root
filesystem, and go from there.

Alternately, you /might/ be able to cram everything into a single 2.88mb
el-torito image, then just read the parted image from the rest of the CD
(perhaps in a filesystem, perhaps raw - whatever works best). This would
be a bit harder, as cramming everything into 2.88mb would be a bit
interesting, but should be possible. I'd be thinking cramfs, gzipped
kernel image, etc.

I don't know too much when it comes to specifics, though. I've got an
ample 4mb initrd to work with for my netbooted installer work, so I'm
using a pretty full-featured busybox with uClibc and a bunch of other
non-cut-down tools like the ext[23]fs stuff. I haven't done bootable CDs
yet though.

Craig Ringer