[plug] PDF in Linux

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 14 12:21:25 WST 2003

In message <3F8B7837.5090209 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Tue, Oct 14, 2003 at 12:14:47PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Strange indeed - I just checked again, and it works quite fine for me
> using X-window style copy+paste.

Interesting yes, it works with emacs (thanks for Ben for tip-off). I
copy from apps with an explicity copy function (e.g. I go into acroread
and copy text) then I can paste it wherever I like. However, copying
from xpdf will only paste into a subset of those apps. So, it does seem
to be a clipboard issue. But now having achieved that at least achieved
copying from both acroread and xpdf, acroread seems to have better
charset handling. However, I would imagine it is probably possible to
make xpdf provide better handling than acroread (esp. you suggest this
would be the case with Unicode). I've never understood clipboards in X.
I also just tried running xclipboard but it only shows one clipboard and
that clipboard shows contains something I copied hours ago (i.e. nothing
from either xpdf or acroread).