[plug] Membership Cards was Update :)

Ben New benplug at leftclick.com.au
Tue Oct 14 16:51:22 WST 2003

James Devenish wrote:
> LOL some good clean pun for the whole family! My thinking about these
> things is always to give your users the least work. Furthermore, if it
> is going to be linked in to financial membership then it would be nice
> to have it notionally in PLUG's hands, not users'. My common suggestion
> is to roll this sort of thing into a PDF, since most people can access a
> PDF viewer or at least a utility to convert it into a printable format.
> Furthermore, inserting a person's name into a pre-built PDF means that
> the server needs not do any font rendering, etc. I would suggest
> creating the badge as a PDF file with a public-domain font embedded in
> it. Then, when someone asks for a badge, you simply fill in the blank
> spaces as appropriate. The user then receives the PDF as normal and
> prints it / stores it / rips the graphics out with xpdf. *However* one
> thing to note is that the graphics for the current logo might be 72dpi
> (not sure...have only seen the post-rendered PNG). It would be good to
> preserve these at a slightly higher resolution in the PDF file so that
> they print out nicely. Esp. important for greyscale. Therefore, using
> PDF instead of PNG is good because it is possible that the PNGs would
> get printed out at 72dpi by mistake (and, also, someone would need to
> render fonts onto them).

The original is SVG so can be rendered to any size or resolution.  The
Tux and Perth images are imported scalar images, but they have already
been shrunk to fit on the 9cm*5cm card.  If there are any problems there
I'll deal with them at the time... shall we say 300dpi for the final
printables?

BTW, is that a good size (9*5)?  It's standard business card size, but
it can be bigger if anyone thinks there is a need?

Anyway, good idea about the PDF...  saves a lot of hassle with the fonts
  and the resolution.

Also, thanks to Sacha and Cameron for the photos, I'll have a look and
post a new version to the list.  If I need an original I'll contact the
relevant person off-list.  It'll probably have to wait until tomorrow
afternoon now as I'm heading up to Toodyay fairly soon.

--
Ben @ Leftclick
http://www.leftclick.com.au/