[plug] SPAM - howto queries

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Oct 15 13:56:15 WST 2003

Hi Brett, One thing I have found effective is to use the ISP's spam
tagging.  My two public accounts are either iinet or murdoch uni
(central account) and both have been quite reliable since I started
using the tagging option  a few weeks ago.  Surprisingly, the bulk of
the spam comes via iinet and not the uni, one false detect (you still
have to at least scan the subject lines once a day) and only a couple of
undetected spam slipping through.

Advantages are that someone else who likely knows more about the subject
than me is running the system, so I dont have to do much, and the
hueristics have a much better chance of working than on a single
relatively low volume setup.  I have run spam stuff in the past and
found the maintenance to be very high, so am quite happy to offload it.

Downside is when the ISP has mail problems, so do you, but as my mail
goes via them anyway, it will happen regardless.

BillK