[plug] NVidia drivers and RENDER acceleration

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Oct 17 09:58:49 WST 2003

On Fri, Oct 17, 2003 at 12:02:04AM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| Now, if only the free XFree86 drivers (ANY of them) supported
| accelerated RENDER.

Amen!

('specially radeon, 'cos that's what I have...)

| Anyway, this render acceleration finially makes mozilla behave like less
| of a slug, which by it's self is a really pleasant change.

Back when I had an Nvidia card, enabling render acceleration was a good
way to get a hard lock-up within a minute or so of X starting :(  (In
fact, using the Nvidia binary drivers at all resulted in an incredibly
unstable system.  Perhaps I was just unlucky, because most of the people
talking about the Nvidia drivers are quite positive about them.)

On the subject of web browsers acting sluggishly:  has anyone else
noticed Konqueror taking several CPU-seconds to draw up the Murdoch
library catalog pages (wwwopac.murdoch.edu.au)?  The page doesn't seem
to have anything quirky on it that should eat multi-GHz CPUs for
breakfast, and indeed Mozilla renders the same page snappily.  (And the
telnet interface is a lot quicker, no matter what browser you use...)

Cameron.