[plug] NVidia drivers and RENDER acceleration

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 17 10:55:38 WST 2003

 > But there's nothing important (to me, anyway) that konsole
> or gnome-terminal does that xterm doesn't, so I've been using a plain
> xterm lately.

Ditto.

 >Using bitmap fonts, this is essentially
> instantaneous.

True. As a result, I tend to use large-ish bitmap fixed-width fonts in
xterm, and that does the trick nicely. I actually find the fixed bitmap
fonts that come with XFree86 to be very readable.

> | Accelerated
> | RENDER on the s3 driver in particular would make it practical to use
> | XFT2 and RENDER on a lot of older hardware.
>
> Do S3 cards even have appropriate hardware that /can/ accelerate render?

Good point. *smacks head*. I don't know, to be honest. It's one of those
things I foolishly assumed was possible. Worth finding out I guess.

> Out of curiosity, does using XFree with the framebuffer driver give you
> this kind of speed?

I haven't actually tested it on linux/x86 because, as you said, the
framebuffer is pretty awful most of the time. The VESA framebuffer is
... well, James - you said you liked slow terminals, right? I never had
much luck with rivafb, either.

> This isn't something that I really care about as once I'm in X, I tend
> to stay, and can put up with waiting a second on the rare occassions
> that I /do/ flick between VTs.

As do I. As I have most syslog output going to /dev/tty12, including
syslog from my firewall, I do find myself flicking over to look at that.
I can always tail a file too, of course.

Craig Ringer