[plug] NVidia drivers and RENDER acceleration

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Fri Oct 17 07:25:42 WST 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 00:02, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > Explains why a gnome-terminal session takes so long to start up.
>
> Perhaps. I suspect that's more to do with the amount of extraneous crap
> GNOME-terminal is linked into, though. Try timing a C compile job under
> GNOME-terminal, then under xterm, though - you'll be horrified at the
> difference the display of the make output makes. I'm yet to try with and
> without RenderAccel but I suspect gnome-terminal will be a /lot/ closer
> to xterm when accelerated RENDER is enabled.

About 10 seconds on a 2.6Ghz machine :) Tested that on Distro day. I
can´t remember if we used the 2.6 or the 2.4.22.

On a side note i just installed Mandrake 9.2, the first thing i noticed
was the fonts were nicer but everything took longer to start up. Using
the render option sped it up *alot*.

Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at LinuxIT.com.au>