[plug] Free WAIX traffic for WA Swiftel users

Scott Middleton scott at LinuxIT.com.au
Fri Oct 17 21:15:20 WST 2003

We are on WestNet with a bridged account. To be honest we haven´t lost
connection in the last 3 months (that i am aware of).  In June we
downloaded over 74GB. Free WAIX is definite boon!
WestNet is having problems with their Layer2 service at them moment but
fortunately it doesn't affect most of our clients because they are
bridged.

On Fri, 2003-10-17 at 20:58, Jon Miller wrote:
> Then we are bing ripped off, because we pay over $1000/month and do not have WAIX.  But this is our ISP plan and their special VPN account, however we do get free backbone traffic. I have to decide is it worth it in the long run.  Our SLA is good and the service (tech support) is very good.  Just our monthly allocation of bandwidth is very bad (500MB) and I do a lot of downloads of patches for clients with sizes ranging from the a few KB's to 2-300MB.  One or two of those and the monthly allocation is used up.  To top off everything else we pay $0.10 per MB after the initial 500MB.  I've been thinking of switching, but Swiftel recently had some outages that caused the xDSL to stop 3 times in 1 day and this is a worry since my clients and myself need our system up all the time.  Again I'm told this this tends to happen late night or early morning.
> I'm looking for folks that have been with Swiftel for at least a year to answer some questions regarding their uptime vs downtime.
> So if anyone on the list has been with Swiftel for at least a year can you relay your thoughts on the service at Swiftel for the past year.  Please send this offline.
>
> Thanks
>
> Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS, ASE
> Director/Sr Systems Consultant
> MMT Networks Pty Ltd
> http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au
>
> "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
>  is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

> On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 07:06, Scott Middleton wrote:
> > if you[']r[e] in WA and you don't have free WAIX then you are
> > being ripped off.I couldn't survive without it.
>
> One of my customers does over 60% of their traffic through WAIX. They
> still pay circa $1000 a month for connectivity, including 1c/MB for
> non-WAIX data.
>
> Cheers; Leon

Linux Information Technology
Society of Linux Professionals WA