[plug] Free WAIX traffic for WA Swiftel users

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Oct 17 23:18:02 WST 2003

Yup, same at work.  We're on a 1.5Mbit bridged connection with WestNet
as well.

We had a slight problem with a couple of sites following the layer2
issues that WestNet has been having, but that was fixed in less 5
minutes after a quick email to WestNet.  Other than that, our connection
has been fine.  WestNet rarely have outages, and the ones they have had
have been scheduled ones and they have notified their customers of these
happening a couple of days in advance and they are always carried out in
the wee hours of the morning anyway when they do happen.

It also decreases the areas where outages could occur as there is no
authentication on it, so it literally is always on.  It has also meant
no downtime at all for us when other users have been having severe
problems due to a complete stuff up by Telstra.  The only downtime I
have noticed during business hours that I can remember was for about 5
minutes around about 3 weeks ago when there were Telstra techs in our
street playing with phone wires.

We personally use a Cisco 827 ADSL router for our bridged connection and
its absolutely flawless.

/ Ben