[plug] Free WAIX traffic for WA Swiftel users

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Sat Oct 18 23:57:16 WST 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:15, Scott Middleton wrote:
> WestNet is having problems with their Layer2 service at them moment
> but fortunately it doesn't affect most of our clients because they
> are bridged.

WestNet is having problems with their internal routing. I can traceroute
from a WN ADSL customer to another customer who is primarily homed with
ArachNet but who apparently has some echoes of "prefixed" routes left
in WN - to whom they are also connected - and the traffic ping-pongs
between two WN routers until it dies. Meanwhile, traffic between any
two WN DSL hosts just plain dies. It has been so for at least three
days.

WestNet don't often stuff things up, but this time they seem to have
excelled themselves.

If you want dead-set reliable DSL, Optus and Request (really
RUCC.net.au) are hard to go past, but don't expect much by way of free
traffic, and don't expect magic too far from the CBD.

BTW, my ArachNet DSL connection went away in a power failure on
Thursday, after 72 days of continuous connection at the same IP
address. I now have a fixed IP so I can second some mail and stuff.

Cheers; Leon