[plug] GDM hanging, leaving zombies

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 20 16:03:10 WST 2003

> | So - I'm going to ask for ideas, before I throw it out the window, stomp
> | on it a few times, and start using XDM.
>
> Use KDM? :-P

I'd use XDM if anything. KDM strikes me as having the same issues as gdm
- linked to a particular desktop environment, and designed (apparently)
largely for single-desktop use.

> A more serious suggestion:  have you tried attaching gdb to gdm?  You'll
> probably need a debugging build of GDM in order to get any sane output
> out of it, though.

Yes, I have. As I said in my last message, attaching strace to the
process causes the tracing process to hang and not respond to anything
except a SIGKILL. I tried gdb next and got the same problem. I've just
gone back and tried again after sending gdm a SIGCONT as James
suggested, and I get the following result:

# gdb `which gdm-binary` 24242
[snip]
Attaching to program: /usr/bin/gdm-binary, process 24242
Couldn't get registers: Operation not permitted.
A program is being debugged already.  Kill it? (y or n) n
Program not killed.
(gdb) detach
Detaching from program: /usr/bin/gdm-binary, process 24242
ptrace: Operation not permitted.
(gdb)

which I don't know enough to interpret. Perhaps it's because of the
strace that attached then hung? I can't do anything with it, anyway.

Craig Ringer