[plug] GDM hanging, leaving zombies

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 20 16:17:09 WST 2003

>> | So - I'm going to ask for ideas, before I throw it out the window,
>> stomp | on it a few times, and start using XDM.
>>
>> Use KDM? :-P
>
> I'd use XDM if anything. KDM strikes me as having the same issues as gdm
> - linked to a particular desktop environment, and designed (apparently)
> largely for single-desktop use.

OK, perhaps not. I joined #ltsp just now to see if anybody there had any
ideas, and several people suggested that KDM is in fact the best choice
for large numbers of XDMCP clients. I must say I'm surprised, but one
person there has it running as the XDMCP server for their 50-user
network so I guess it must be better than I'd expect.

I'll have to try it out. I only hope it isn't too kde-specific, as I use
an XFCE4 environment here that's quite custom.

Craig Ringer