[plug] GDM hanging, leaving zombies

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Oct 20 16:27:04 WST 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 04:17:09PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
| >>Use KDM? :-P
| >
| >I'd use XDM if anything. KDM strikes me as having the same issues as gdm
| >- linked to a particular desktop environment, and designed (apparently)
| >largely for single-desktop use.
|
| OK, perhaps not. I joined #ltsp just now to see if anybody there had any
| ideas, and several people suggested that KDM is in fact the best choice
| for large numbers of XDMCP clients. I must say I'm surprised, but one
| person there has it running as the XDMCP server for their 50-user
| network so I guess it must be better than I'd expect.
|
| I'll have to try it out. I only hope it isn't too kde-specific, as I use
| an XFCE4 environment here that's quite custom.

It isn't really KDE-specific besides the widgets that it uses.  If
anything, I believe it's /less/ DE-specific than GDM is.  It has some
handy features (which admittedly only really make sense for a
single-user machine) such as shutting down the machine at the end of the
session which are easiest to access via KDE - although you can use
dcopclient from the command line too.  You can configure it using
kcontrol or by editing text config files if you feel that way inclined.

Cameron.