[plug] GDM hanging, leaving zombies

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Oct 20 17:25:53 WST 2003

> | 24242 is the parent. The rt_sigsuspend strikes me as a bit weird, but I
> | don't know enough about the guts of this stuff to really have an idea
> | what's going on.
>
> It seems odd that there are four gdm processess wait()ing and yet the
> three zombies aren't disappearing...  This is really looking like a
> kernel bug (or maybe even a hardware issue?) to me.
>
> Are the wait()ing processess (24250, 24415, 23707) the parents of the
> zombie processess (24730, 26835, 26999)?  Perhaps you could post the
> parent PIDs of the processes too (ps -F)

Ah, sorry, I though that was clear from my eariler message. Process
24242 is the parent of all those processes. 24242 is the main gdm
process - it listens on udp/177 and forks children to handle displays as
requests come in.

I guess it could be a kernel bug - I'm using the stock RH kernel with
their threading stuff - but it's unlikely to be a hardware issue. I have
not seen this problem with any other processes, and it's happened
repeatedly to GDM - not the sort of thing one expects from a hardware issue.

I don't expect to have the chance to find out, however - GDM just went
away, and KDM is running happily. I'll be spending the next while
testing :-(

Craig Ringer