[plug] GDM hanging, leaving zombies

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 20 17:33:40 WST 2003

In message <3F93AA21.4000403 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 05:25:53PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Ah, sorry, I though that was clear from my eariler message. Process
> 24242 is the parent of all those processes.

To clarify: you mean that it is the direct parent of each process --
there is no nesting of processes (hence the `ps -F` idea)?

> I guess it could be a kernel bug - I'm using the stock RH kernel with
> their threading stuff - but it's unlikely to be a hardware issue.

Did we migrate toward "sounds like a kernel bug" last time, too?
(Hey,...that's right...were those zombie processes still holding
onto sockets today...? It is surely a kernel bug if they were.)