[plug] Modules problem with PPC Debian machine

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Oct 20 20:58:01 WST 2003

Hello,

I have an oldworld Mac (7220/200) that I have installed PPC Woody on
decided to cut my teeth building a firewall that I also plan to make a
SIP proxy.

Being somewhat of an amateur fumbling around in dark I first installed
the system with the 2.2 kernel and was later (after much pratting about)
was able to upgrade to 2.4 and boot to it correctly using BootX from
MacOS.

The kernel I select from BootX is 2.4.18

uname -a delivers:

Linux debainppc 2.4.18-newpmac #1 <incorrect time/date snipped> ppc
unknown

Now in /lib/modules I have the following directories:

2.2.20-pmac/
2.4.18-powerpc/

lsmod mod only gives the headings

and when I try to start

Shorewall I get a long list of errors the most relevant of which is most
likely:

modprobe: can't open the dependencies file
/lib/modules/2.4.18-newpmac/modules.dep (no such file or directory)

Obviously I'm missing all my modules.

Any idea how to get them back?

regards,

Chris Caston