[plug] Need help with SATA and MBR

chris.griffin at swiftdsl.com.au chris.griffin at swiftdsl.com.au
Tue Oct 21 10:03:52 WST 2003

I have a new system I am trying to set up.
Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 MoBo
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro video card
120GB Seagate SATA drive

I installed Win XP onto it fine. I then started to install RedHat 9 (opps,
delete the work RedHat).
RedHat (old habits die hard) did not install LILO onto the MBA of the SATA
drive (probably my fault, I probably missed the bit on telling it where to
put the boot record), I did create a boot floppy. When I rebooted and
found that I did not get LILO, I realised what had happened and booted the
floppy. I got in edited /etc/lilo.conf, and changed the boot location from
hda to the SATA drive. When I then ran lilo it told me the disk was too
big and I should try using lba32 instead of linear. OK, so I changed that
in lilo.conf and this time it worked, except for the warning message
saying that I was not using the first physical disk.
Now when I go to boot I get "LI" and that's it. I cannot even get to boot
Windblows. Is there something I am missing, how can I restore the original
mbr? I cannot really boot DOS and do fdisk /mbr (it would only re-install
the mbr on the first disk hda, or can I)?

Also, during install, the only options for the video were for Raneon 9500
or 9700. What must I do to get it to work on the 9600 Pro?
Thanks in advance folks.

Chris Griffin