[plug] [link] Open Source win in Mass. US

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 21 10:59:41 WST 2003

> In message <20031021024415.GA7866 at mail.guild.uwa.edu.au>
> on Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 10:44:15AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
>
>>Be careful of your interpretation of "open", Ben.
>
> For "Ben", substitute "Bret and Craig". And believe it or not, that
> *wasn't* the most bizarre random name substitution that I've ever done.

In this case, the meaning of "open source" in the article appears to be
the one that most will have been expecting. Whether that's the basis of
the legislation, I don't know - it depends on the article writer's
interpretation of the legislation.

I've personally never heard "open source" used to refer to sofware where
source code is accessable but highly restricted in use (ie MS learning
programs, various vendors' university source access). The assumption
that this article means open source in the http://opensource.org/ sense
seems reasonable.

What I was saying stands, however. It strikes me as a singularly bad
idea to require "open source" software. Access to the source code seems
reasonable, but at least in the usage it seems to have now "open source"
tends to imply some rights to modify and/or distribute the software.

Craig Ringer