[plug] Open Source win in Mass. not a closed shop

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Wed Oct 22 06:42:14 WST 2003

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:39, Bret Busby wrote:
> Whilst I support open source, I believe that enforced closed shops of
> open source sites, will do more harm than good, to the open source
> movement. The "free" part, I understood, was supposed to be about
> freedom of choice. Closed shops do not have that luxury.

If it was universal, yes. However, the occasional State mandating Open
Source for its own machines and services will do little harm, and at
this developmental stage is a useful beach-head for OSS.

Also, have you actually read Massachusett's own take on the matter, or
just the headlines?

AFAICT, they have only mandated open standards, which IMESHO is an
absolutely grand thing, and a *preference* for Open Source, which will
somewhat balance off against incumbency.

> I believe that it would be far better, to have a simple policy, to
> investigate all reasonable options, including open source, and select
> the most appropriate solution for the circumstances, without bias.

That would be nice, but it would also require all competitors to really
play fair. Dream on. To name the obvious participant, Microsoft has
lawyers, salesmen, political and financial clout, and is using all of
them to the hilt.

You speak to a level playing field, but picture such a level field with
a self-righteously enraged 400kg silverback eastern gorilla at one end,
accompanied by few orangutan fellow travellers and so on, and at the
other end a 150kg western gorilla (IBM), a handful of bonobos and a
flock of capuchins, tamarinds and other teacup-sized pongidae. Let the
fair competition begin.

Finally, even if they had required only Open Source, that doesn't close
the shop. There are still masses of competing companies who can vie for
their trade.

For the curious:

    http://www.capuchin-monkeys.com/
http://photosoc.wellington.net.nz/cgi-bin/slideviewer.cgi?list=wildlife&slide=14