[plug] using CUPS & netatalk to do mac printer spooling

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 22 16:47:13 WST 2003

In message <3F962B65.80700 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 03:01:57PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> I'm very surprised to hear that it froze the machine. I can only imagine
> that it ran into a problem while probing the serial or parallel ports
> for devices,

Ah...now this would not surprise me (with the particular machine in
question). The fact that there are no console messages may suggest I/O,
too. It never times out or recovers. I could just try modifying the CUPS
config, but the machine is in a really awkward location to be resetting
its power all the time in the even that it still isn't fixed :-)

> I find remote syslogging very useful for figuring out what caused a
> crash - seeing

Yes, I like those remote syslogging, too.

> hostname.localnet cupsd: probing serial port /dev/ttyS0

Oooh!

> Anyway, the files. They're all on
> http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/~craig/psjobs/
> and are:

Thanks heaps. Okay, "I concur" with your assessment that:

 - the files are fine.
 - GS has no problem with them.
 - they don't print it you use nc.
 - they will print fine from Macs.

I can also print them fine from Linux (but using nc will never work). My
arcane-documents fetish has come in handy for interpreting the
situation, here. It *is* a binary-data problem. The situation is
actually defined in PostScript, though the hardware designers may also
have had a role to play in this. I will explain this off-list to you,
Craig. You can then summarise to the list because I probably can't
express myself in a sane way. Your Xerox might have the configuration
options to overcome the problem, but HPs probably don't (not the ones
I've had a look at, at least). However, I may also have a workaround,
though I'd have to re-familiarise myself with CUPS.  Will mull things
over for a while and get back to you off-list.