[plug] using CUPS & netatalk to do mac printer spooling

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Oct 22 17:09:07 WST 2003

> Ah...now this would not surprise me (with the particular machine in
> question). The fact that there are no console messages may suggest I/O,
> too. It never times out or recovers. I could just try modifying the CUPS
> config, but the machine is in a really awkward location to be resetting
> its power all the time in the even that it still isn't fixed :-)

I /think/ that CUPS can be stopped from probing serial ports and such by
removing the appropriate backends in /usr/lib/cups/backend... but I
wouldn't be sure enough to try it on a machine where it wasn't easy to
recover from a problem.

> Thanks heaps. Okay, "I concur" with your assessment that:
>
>  - the files are fine.
>  - GS has no problem with them.
>  - they don't print it you use nc.
>  - they will print fine from Macs.
>
> I can also print them fine from Linux (but using nc will never work). My
> arcane-documents fetish

Yeah - even in the mac lab at Hollywood you were always bringing in
pre-formatted PS jobs from some app to run out of the lasers. I still
use drop*ps sometimes ;-)

> has come in handy for interpreting the
> situation, here. It *is* a binary-data problem. The situation is
> actually defined in PostScript, though the hardware designers may also
> have had a role to play in this.

If it's endian issues, I assure you there will be screaming. Probably
the next technician with any computer or printer related skill that
comes in, whether or not they even know about it.

 > Will mull things
> over for a while and get back to you off-list.

Wonderful. Thanks, it really is much appreciated.

Craig Ringer