[plug] dd speed estimates and /dev/hdx grepping

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Oct 23 11:18:57 WST 2003

> more stuff I can't quote because I don't have the emails ;)

I just did the same things again to another drive.

This time I passed:  bf24 ide0=dma ide1=dma unmaskirq=1   to the woody CD.

It took under 1 hour, and you could see from the redraw of the install
program how little work the CPU was having to do compared to yesterday
without DMA.

Without DMA it took somewhere between 6 and 18 hours.  Yes, I *could* be
more vague if you asked ;P

So that's a speedup of at the very least, 6 times.

I used a 1MB blocksize as per Harry's inkling as the drives had a 2MB cache.
I don't have the time to sit through more such tests just yet though, maybe
later I might.

Ryan