[plug] dd speed estimates and /dev/hdx grepping

Jay Turner jturner at bsis.com.au
Thu Oct 23 12:47:50 WST 2003

Well...

I have started the image so we will see how I go..

I have a 8GB hda which has windows on it and a 40GB hdc which is my target
disk.

To save having a 3rd disk with Linux on it I booted from a RedHat 9 CD and
in the console checked that both drives were using DMA with hdparm. They
were.

I have now started the copy with dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
I checked the cache size for the drives the src has 512kb and the dest has
2Mb.. so i left the default bs as is.

I started this at 12:40WST so we'll see how long it takes.. and if it even
works.

Jay