[plug] dd speed estimates and /dev/hdx grepping

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Oct 23 12:55:34 WST 2003

> I have now started the copy with dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdc
> I checked the cache size for the drives the src has 512kb and the dest has
> 2Mb.. so i left the default bs as is.

dd uses a 512B block size by default - you probably wanted at least
512kB. A wee bit late now, of course.

> I started this at 12:40WST so we'll see how long it takes.. and if it even
> works.

It's quite possible that the new disk will come out unreadable due to
issues with disk "geometry". While modern disks don't expose their
internal geometry, they do provide "virtual" disk geometry to the BIOS
and this can differ disk-to-disk. I've certainly had problems with
disk-to-disk copies between non-identical disks. I've found the most
reliable way is to recreate the partition table on the new disk, then do
a partition-by-partition copy. This is also more flexible. Still, with
luck the direct copy of the entire disk will do the trick.

Craig Ringer