[plug] Is there a way to put a job to sleep so it can survive a reboot?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Oct 24 14:51:53 WST 2003

> What about "suspend-to-persistent-solid-state" (like a memory stick or
> something) instead.  This would be a lot quicker than HDD operations,
> possibly it could even be run regularly (e.g. in crontab) in case of
> power failure.

AFAIK most NVRAM is much slower than hard disks. Access times /may/ be
lower due avoiding the need to seek, but your sustained writes /may/ be
very poor. It depends on the memory type of course. They also often have
limits on the number of writes they can survive.

> Even better, why not just forget RAM altogether and use persistent solid
> state instead, then we could almost forget about "shutdown" altogether
> and just turn the power off at the box (except that it might interrupt
> HDD operations...)

http://google.com/search?q=MRAM

Alternately, what you're describing is functionally very similar to
using battery-backed RAM and suspend-to-RAM. This has been standard on
laptops for 8+ years - it's called APM Suspend - and is quite possible
on many desktops. Of course, desktops need to stay plugged in as they
don't have a battery.

Craig Ringer