[plug] Is there a way to put a job to sleep so it can survive a reboot?

Ben New benplug at leftclick.com.au
Fri Oct 24 13:44:11 WST 2003

Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 11:26:39AM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
>
>>Is there a way to put a job to sleep so it can survive a reboot?
>>
>>Some environment it can be run within?
>
> [...]
>
> Yes, this is known as process checkpointing. There's been a lot of
> research into it but every approach has its limitations.
>
> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~mfoster/research/uclik.htm
> http://cap.anu.edu.au/~dgibson/esky.html
> http://www.research.rutgers.edu/~edpin/epckpt/
> http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/1042
> http://www.iti.mu-luebeck.de/~petri/pbeamrefs.html
>
> Environments like User Mode Linux, Mosix or Bochs could make it easier,
> though not as easy as a nice simple process without shared memory,
> threads, network connections, etc. A more mainstream approach is
> suspend-to-disk of the whole system, which people use every day on
> laptops, but desktops can be capable of, too.
>
> Nick.

What about "suspend-to-persistent-solid-state" (like a memory stick or
something) instead.  This would be a lot quicker than HDD operations,
possibly it could even be run regularly (e.g. in crontab) in case of
power failure.

Even better, why not just forget RAM altogether and use persistent solid
state instead, then we could almost forget about "shutdown" altogether
and just turn the power off at the box (except that it might interrupt
HDD operations...)

Sure, it's slower, but so were computers marketed a year ago compared to
the ones in the shops right now.

It could even have security benefits (store passwords, etc on the stick
also?)

BTW, These are the best imho, they have a 5 year warranty!
http://www.lexarmedia.com/digfilm/index_ms.html

--
Ben @ Leftclick
http://www.leftclick.com.au/