[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 27 13:06:58 WST 2003

> Just in case the Linmag Distro Day article wasn't controversial enough --
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/49967/
>
> Can't say I agree with his reasoning. Derek and the SuSE guys are going to
> laugh at this piece, though (either that or get mad).

The days when I got mad at drivel like this are long gone.

The guy is clearly a debian hacker who knows what he's doing. I love it: "this
is a simple matter of adding 'deb http://marillat.free.fr stable main' to
/etc/apt/sources.list, then executing the following..." Simple! Ha! Hacking
at /etc files before issuing command lines is not simple. You need to know
what you are doing. But give it 10/10 anyway.

FWIW, I upgraded MPlayer on my SuSE box some time ago, using the exact
packages he describes. I went and downloaded them from the site mentioned,
then used YaST (not YOU) to install them. Took 1 minute plus the downloading
time, and worked flawlessly. I didn't have to hack any /etc files or use the
command line, but call it 6/10.

In order to be objective in these sorts of comparisons you need people who
know and understand the distros and the tools they provide. That is just
about unheard of, so I never read them.

--
> eatapple
core dump