[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Mon Oct 27 13:17:06 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 27/10/2003 01:13 PM
-----

                      Derek Fountain
                      <derekfountain at ya        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      hoo.co.uk>               cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [plug] Controversial comparison of distros?
                      plug-admin at plug.l
                      inux.org.au

                      27/10/2003 01:06
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>> Just in case the Linmag Distro Day article wasn't controversial enough
--

>> http://lwn.net/Articles/49967/
>>
>> Can't say I agree with his reasoning. Derek and the SuSE guys are going
>> laugh at this piece, though (either that or get mad).

>The days when I got mad at drivel like this are long gone.

That's basically why I posted it - it really was laughable.

>The guy is clearly a debian hacker who knows what he's doing. I love it:
"this
>is a simple matter of adding 'deb http://marillat.free.fr stable main' to
>/etc/apt/sources.list, then executing the following..." Simple! Ha!
Hacking
>at /etc files before issuing command lines is not simple. You need to know

>what you are doing. But give it 10/10 anyway.

>FWIW, I upgraded MPlayer on my SuSE box some time ago, using the exact
>packages he describes. I went and downloaded them from the site mentioned,

>then used YaST (not YOU) to install them. Took 1 minute plus the
downloading
>time, and worked flawlessly. I didn't have to hack any /etc files or use
the
>command line, but call it 6/10.

If you read the comments someone asked why, when he "had to" install apt
under RH he gave it 8/10, but when he installed apt under SuSE he gave it
6/10 - his answer was that he had to install 2 other libraries to get apt
to install. Ludicrous!!!

>In order to be objective in these sorts of comparisons you need people who

>know and understand the distros and the tools they provide. That is just
>about unheard of, so I never read them.

You will notice that my fave distro got 10/10 and 9/10  ;)

RichardM