[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Mon Oct 27 16:42:57 WST 2003

The reason I use Linux is because it is the post popular Open Source
operating system for servers and desktops not because I have any
particular love for UNIX.

Although Linux is evolving and developing (Gnome, KDE, Evolution,
Mozilla, xine, OpenOffice.org) I think that the masses need to meet us
halfway. There is no point making Linux as easy to use as Windows
because then the people that migrate will lose all the powerful tools.

I also see that most people don't know about Open Source but if they
aren't a developer than who can blame them? If you don't know how to
read and write C++ then it is functionally the same to you as binary or
ASM.

Open Source needs to be opened up to other areas such as Open Source
music, Open Source design and manufacture, Open Source environmental
planning, Open Source business plans.

When people are able to adapt and develop their own skills and abilities
using Open Source methodologies then they will grow out of the
crumbling, cumbersome proprietary operating system that has been forced
and blindly lapped up as the defacto standard and look for a powerful
system such as Linux to empower their mind, work, knowledge, discovery
and communities.

regards,

Chris Caston

Aptitude Technology