[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 27 17:21:21 WST 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 03:01:18PM +1100, Kimberly Shelt wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:29:20AM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> > And tomato boy here is going to point out how much he hates distro
> > dependent packaging and advocate projects like autopackage, distro
> > independent packaging, wooooo! :)
>
> And hopefully send them back to the place you already ranted about it :):)
> http://articles.linmagau.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=315&page=1

For those of us with a RISC-OS (or indeed MacOS or NEXTSTEP) heritage,
this looks rather promising:

http://zero-install.sourceforge.net/

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 02:52:10PM +0800, garry wrote:
> If you are willing to learn a few keystrokes adding a line to
> /etc/apt/sources.list IS trivial..

You can also add an entry with apt-setup (the same interface you get
during the installer). If you do decide to edit the file anyway (to
delete a line, perhaps) it will drop you into /usr/bin/sensible-editor,
which is likely to call a nice newbie-friendly-ish nano.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal