[plug] Mandrake Bug announce warning rant ahead

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Oct 28 10:11:54 WST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:58:25AM +0800, Scott Middleton wrote:
> How are they supposed to know when it is not even on the Mandrake Club
> front page?

I'm not a Mandrake user, but I thought I'd check; the Mandrake webpage
currently has a warning about this on the front page dated October 24th:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/

It links to this page, describing the details:

http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/lgerrata.php3

> I suppose what really pisses me off is i have now lost one of my major
> Linux selling points. "Linux is good because it doesn't hide its faults,
> it acknowledges them and then fixes it".

I think the problem really lies with LG, as the drives are not
conforming to the ATAPI spec.  Given that, shouldn't you be upset that
LG haven't contact you to let you know that your drive might kill itself
at any moment (I'm going to assume that Mandrake 9.2 isn't the only
piece of software on the planet that sends FLUSH_CACHE commands to
drives).

That said, if anything this should be a warning to Mandrake -- don't
play about with the kernel too much (especially one aimed at a stable
release).

--
 Leon Blackwell                | SCSI is *NOT* magic.  There are
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | *fundamental technical reasons* why it