[plug] Mandrake Bug announce warning rant ahead

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 10:31:08 WST 2003

In message <20031028021153.GA2217 at lostrealm.com>
on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 10:11:54AM +0800, Leon Blackwell wrote:
> I think the problem really lies with LG, as the drives are not
> conforming to the ATAPI spec.  Given that, shouldn't you be upset that
> LG haven't contact you to let you know that your drive might kill
> itself at any moment

Had LG received everybody's registration cards so that it had the
ability to contact them? Do LG users know they have an LG drive? Cf.
that Mandrake users probably know they are using Mandrake. Also,
Mandrake appeared to be in a position where it could be confident about
giving a specific message to users ("don't do X if Y"). What might LG
have said? "An issue with our drives...don't use Mandrake or SUSE".
So, for customers, probably better for Mandrake to take the lead.
(Just speculating...I have neither Mandrake Linux nor an LG drive.)