[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 11:34:01 WST 2003

In message <1067311370.3f9de10a0a0a8 at webmailtest.iinet.net.au>
on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:22:50AM +0800, sscott at iinet.net.au wrote:
> 'better' is such a subjective term.

I hope you're not implying that it would be worth drawing up a list of
objective criteria ;-)

> In reality, the whole issue of a 'package format' is so trivial its
> not really worth discussing, and any format with a core set of basic
> features would probably suffice.

But I saw you write "tgz is not a package format"! While that is true in
a literal sense, I had thought you were making some higher-level comment
about its suitability for package management. tgz is the medium of
choice for some packaging systems.

> The way it was explained to me was that rpm and deb were very similar feature-
> wise, but deb scored extra points because the dependencies are so strictly
> managed within Debian as opposed to RedHat/Mandrake. This makes me think that
> perhaps the 'problems' with rpm as a format are more procedural than technical?

I think must be more to it than that, because the above comment seems to
be referring to APT, urpmi, etc, rather than RPM and Deb.