[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Tue Oct 28 14:57:00 WST 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 11:34:01AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:

| > In reality, the whole issue of a 'package format' is so trivial its
| > not really worth discussing, and any format with a core set of basic
| > features would probably suffice.
|
| But I saw you write "tgz is not a package format"! While that is true in
| a literal sense, I had thought you were making some higher-level comment
| about its suitability for package management. tgz is the medium of
| choice for some packaging systems.

Also note that .debs are really just a couple of tar.gz's tacked
together, one containing package metadata and one containing the
package's files.  AIUI Even Slackware's tgzs have got /some/ form of
metadata in the form of the index files in the package directory and the
install.sh script contained in the tgz itself.

Cameron.