[plug] Internet connecting

smclevie smclevie at ozemail.com.au
Wed Oct 29 05:35:21 WST 2003

Hi,

If someone could help this Newbie it would be appreciated (Newbie spelt
witha capital 'N' for obvious reasons).

I am running an unstable Debian on a new P4 2.4G (thanks to Tony and the
workshop evening crew) and am trying to do the apt-get routine.

My modem is an older external 56k Acer Surf variety.

I have run though 'pppconfig'.

I have also run 'pon'.

It (pon) dialed my isp (TPG), did all the normal noises and all lights
stayed on and it remained 'on-line'.

However, I then typed 'apt-get install aumix' and got the following...
.. failed to fetch http://mirrors.uwa.edu.au/debian/ ...etc.

When I am in KDE and try to run Mozilla it seems to sit there doing nothing.

Actually, it has a message 'resolving www.google.com' or such like at the
bottom of screen.

What's happening??  What else must I do especially to get the apt-get
functionality ...???

Thanks in advance,

Steve