[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 15:21:47 WST 2003

In message <20031028070903.GB4486 at erdos.home>
on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:09:03PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> You're implying that there is a clear-cut distinction between core and
> non-core ("3rd party") applications and that this distinction is in some
> way meaningful in this debate.

I think the distinction (a meaningful one) is whether the application is
included in the operating system or not.

> RPM...mandates that its postinst scripts are non-interactive.

<frown> That could be awkward. OTOH, it could be *interesting* to find
out how people deal with this! The idea of non-interactive postinst
scripts is great when you are dealing with "zero installation"
consumers, but doesn't translate well to sysadmins. I like how dpkg
lets you accommodate both.

> | They differentiate themselves already based on target audience and fitness for
> | a particular purpose.
>
> Exactly.  And as such, they make different packaging decisions based on
> the appropriateness for a particular target audience or purpose.

I like Solaris, Tru64 and OpenBSD.

> | Mandrake is more of a general desktop oriented distribution. RH are
> | chasing the high end server market. Debian is for comp sci students
> | with too much time. Slackware is for people who wear suspenders and
> | have waaaay too much time.
>
> Ahem.  Stop it with the stereotypes, please.

I thought that was the fun part!

> ("Dear-caught-in-headlights" reaction? :-P)

But the light...it looks so pretty...