[plug] Kernel logs

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 16:09:24 WST 2003

In message <3F9E2067.9060704 at postnewspapers.com.au>
on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 03:53:11PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> Out of Memory: Killed process 19992 (mozilla-bin).

Is this possibly version-dependent? (E.g. I haven't tested the situation
with 2.4 but I have previously encountered it with 2.2 and not been
happy.) Hmm...grepping...mm/oom_kill.c in 2.4...not present in 2.2.
Okay, that explains that. Thanks.

> >(2) Logging of Ethernet link information.
>
> This appears to be driver-specific. I know some drivers do it. Probably
> logged as kern.info or below.

Darn. Would there be a /proc-style method of polling for information?
(Rhetorical -- I will try to search through driver code sometime.)

> >Are they saved in memory so that they appear after
> >reboot, or are they lost?
>
> They are lost unless you use some form of remote logging.

Okay.

> I'm not aware of a solution for this that wouldn't involve
> dramatically re-working syslogd.

Hmm...does Linux lose its core on reboot? `apropos savecore`
hasn't returned anything for me with:

Debian 3.0 / Linux 2.2.14
Debian 3.0 / Linux 2.4.18
RedHat 9.0 / Linux 2.4.20