[plug] Kernel logs

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Oct 28 17:28:49 WST 2003

>>>(2) Logging of Ethernet link information.
>>
>>This appears to be driver-specific. I know some drivers do it. Probably
>>logged as kern.info or below.
>
> Darn. Would there be a /proc-style method of polling for information?
> (Rhetorical -- I will try to search through driver code sometime.)

Actually, I did hear about this. Don't know how wide spread it is, but
under RH9 (vanilla kernel 2.4.21) I can use "ethtool eth0" on my 8139C
and get link status:

[root at albert root]# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
         Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
         Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
         Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
         Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
         Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
         Speed: 100Mb/s
         Duplex: Full
         Port: MII
         PHYAD: 32
         Transceiver: internal
         Auto-negotiation: on
         Supports Wake-on: pumbg
         Wake-on: u
         Current message level: 0xffffffff (-1)
         Link detected: yes

A reference to the main user-space bit that I found just now:

http://lwn.net/2001/1129/a/ethtool.php3

It appears to be called ethtool not ethertool, hence your lack of hits.
A search of a few specific sites (LWN, kernel traffic) for "link status"
  found it.

More info:
http://www.gnu.org/directory/All_Packages_in_Directory/ethtool.html

> Hmm...does Linux lose its core on reboot?

Yes.

There are, however, patches that allow network crash dumps, crash dumps
to swap, etc. Naturally, the network ones are favoured because it's not
exactly reassuring to say "kernel panic, something's gone horribly
wrong, now let's write to the disk and hope we get the right bit...".

Craig Ringer