[plug] Controversial comparison of distros?

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Oct 28 17:14:29 WST 2003

In message <20031028085631.GE4486 at erdos.home>
on Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 04:56:31PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> | The idea of non-interactive postinst scripts is great when you are
> | dealing with "zero installation" consumers, but doesn't translate
> | well to sysadmins.
>
> (Perhaps that sentence could have ended at "great"?)

(Not in my own experience.)

> random interactive prompts from non-debconf-using packages

Ah, now one problem I have encountered is the use of a "would you like
to restart this service?" prompt *after* the service has already
stopped...not very good, since it means the service is unavailable
until you pay attention to the prompt.

> | > Exactly.  And as such, they make different packaging decisions based on
> | > the appropriateness for a particular target audience or purpose.
> |
> | I like Solaris, Tru64 and OpenBSD.
>
> ...your point being what, exactly?

Ah...yes, that wasn't good prose on my part. It went like this: I
thought Simon said "[operating systems] differentiate themselves...based
on target audience and fitness for a particular purpose", then you said
"exactly", then I said "I like...[operating systems that differentiate
themselves based on target audience and fitness for a particular
purpose]". But what he had actually said was "*distributions*
differentiate themselves"...my mistake.

> That you shouldn't really be on this list at all?

It is very odd that I'm on this list.