[plug] Gnome improvements

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Oct 29 10:29:20 WST 2003

Hi folks,

I've just got my laptop back after a few weeks of downtime and upgraded
it last night (Debian unstable).

I'm completely blown away by the progress Gnome2 has made in overall
performance in the past 2 months.

There is a new splash logo, which is irrelevant, but it seems now that
anything Gnome related caches to insane levels and the overall system
performance is tremendously improved.  That's not just my impression of
it, my system monitor now shows a considerable increase in cached memory
usage after a standard few minutes of usages of various apps.  It
definitely never did that before on any of the Gnome desktops I use, and
things are definitely more responsive in a general sense.

Anyone else notice this or know about what they did internally and which
bits are responsible?

Ryan