[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 29 19:42:45 WST 2003

In message <5.1.0.14.2.20031029164020.00a84a50 at mail.optusnet.com.au>
on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 04:51:05PM +0800, Weirdo wrote:
> I don't want to start a flame war, I am looking for advice.

Sheesh, I step away for an hour and everyone starts posting without me!

ANYway ;-) Personally, I have a single Linux machine that functinos in a
desktop capacity and it runs Debian woody. *However,* I have installed
various packages from sarge and am happy with those versions (which are
often the most recent available, or at least the most recent that I
would trust). I am not bothered about recent desktop environments like
GNOME 2 or KDE 3. Sometimes the system is quite happy to install the
packages straight from the mirrors, but occasionally I build from source
if the binaries want to express too many dependencies. Occasionally, I
install things from sid (but not 'core' things, of course). The nice
thing about this is that apt will keep track of the dependencies and do
all its nice pre- and post-inst stuff despite me not using the official
packages.