[plug] Debian .vs. Gentoo

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 30 07:44:23 WST 2003

In message <20031029114245.GA5283 at mail.guild.uwa.edu.au>
on Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 07:42:45PM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> I have installed various packages from sarge and am happy with those
> versions

BTW something I forgot to mention was security. Obviously, one aspect of
sarge and sid is that you are not supposed to have expectations about
security updates. For me, there is no skin off my back because I take
care of security manually on other systems. But, if you rely on one
vendor to adivse and rectify security, perhaps it is not good advice to
go with Debian sarge or sid. I don't know -- just thought I should point
it out. If you *do* need to make manual security updates to a system --
or change to a version that's not yet packaged by your OS vendor -- I
quite like BSD ports-style maintenance the best. I have not had to try
to do my own security patches with Debian sarge (so maybe it's not so
bad after all) but I do think that Debian packaging is something that is
designed more as a "developer" activity than a "sysadmin" activity (for
obvious reasons, though). I don't know how Gentoo ports compare.